Assistant or Early Associate Professor Positions with the Design Lab
Assistant or Early Associate Professor In Design
The Design Lab at UC San Diego (http://designlab.ucsd.edu), in collaboration with multiple departments in the Jacobs School of Engineering, Social Sciences, and Health Sciences, seeks candidates for Assistant or early Associate Professor faculty positions. Candidates must demonstrate excellent research credentials and will be expected to establish a vigorous program of high-quality design research. Two positions are available.
Note that the design lab must hire all faculty through a collaborating department. Nine departments are interested, 5 from Engineering, 3 from Social Sciences, and 1 from Health Science. Candidates must indicate the department(s) for which they have the requisite experience and skills in addition to their skills in human-centered design.
Engineering: Bioengineering, Computer Science (CSE), Electrical Engineering (ECE), Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering (MAE), Structural Engineering
Social Science: Anthropology, Cognitive Science, Education Studies
Health Science: Division of Infectious Disease and Global Health.
A terminal degree (or advancement to candidacy) such as a PhD, MD, MFA, MDes, or equivalent in their area of expertise is required. Teaching university students will be required in this position. Salary and rank will be commensurate with qualifications in conformance with University of California policies. Applications received by December 2, 2017 will be given full consideration in the first review period. Applications received by January 2, 2018 will be given full consideration in the second review period. The position will remain open until filled. UCSD is an AA/EOE/M/F/D/V
To apply see the job description and three URLs for applications: two for assistant professors: for engineering and for social science or health science; one for beginning associate professors in any of the nine areas.
Assistant Professor in Design/Jacobs School of Engineering: https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/apply/JPF01566
Associate or Full Professor in Design/Jacobs School of Engineering/Social Sciences/Health Sciences:https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/apply/JPF01570
Assistant Professor in Design/Division of Social Sciences or School of Medicine: https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/apply/JPF01567
Note: For both time and fairness reasons, we are unable to respond to email queries from individual applicants.
Keynote Addresses and Schedule
Contact information, bios, press photos, ...
- Ted Talk: Design and Emotion
- Industrial Design Part of Apple's Success (Voice of America interview, 2016)
- Norman Doors. Posner interview. Vox 2016.
- An Evening With Don Norman (Stanford: 2014)
- Design Research and Innovation
- An eternal record of the evening with Don Norman. (Stanford Business school), 2014.
- October 9. University of Florence: "Living with robots,"
- October 11: University of Bologna Business school: "21st Century human-centered design: Design-Driven Transformation of Industry"
- October 9-13. Tuscany and Emilia Romagna (a few talks here and there)
- October 16. Università Di Catania. "Useful and threatening aspects of artificial intelligence in everyday life"
- October 17-18. Sicily.
- October 26-27, 2017. Design Forward 2017 at San Diego Liberty Station
- October 30 - November 3, 2017. International Association of Societies of Design Research (IASDR). University of Cincinnati, Ohio. (Opening keynoteGiving talks, attending, ...)
- November 8-9: University of Kentucky (UK): Research project with UK, NCI, FCC, UCSD, Amgen; Healthcare in underserved areas of the country (Appalachia -- Eastern Kentucky).
- November 13-17. Design groups at MIT and Harvard. (Cambridge, MA).
- January 9-12, 2018. CES, Las Vegas.