The Design Lab at the University of California, San Diego is embarking upon a large, major project in healthcare for complex problems. We are working with the Medical School, various departments at UC San Diego, and several funding agencies in this endeavor. The emphasis is on the processes and structure associated with modern healthcare. We seek a Design Fellow to assist with a project to better understand the complex cognitive ecosystem of healthcare who can help us define, explore, and implement new processes and procedures aimed at improving medical care for complex cases. We seek a Design Fellow to assist with a project to better understand the complex cognitive ecosystem of healthcare who can help us define, explore, and implement new processes and procedures aimed at improving medical care for complex cases.
Other Recent Essays
- Positive computing: technology for wellbeing and human potential (Calvo & Peters)
- Why Procrastination Is Good
- The Human Side of Automation
- Why DesignX?
- DesignX: A Future Path for Design
- A Great Product Ruined
The design of human-computer systems used to focus upon the negative, the breakdowns that confused and confounded people. Now it is time to move to the next level, to focus upon the positive, systems that are enjoyable and pleasurable. We need systems that delight as well as inform, systems that create pleasure along with useful function. We need systems that are resilient, that promote control, understanding, and sometimes just plain pleasure. The design field has responded by examining the role of emotions and pleasure in design. We need to move these findings into mainstream computing.
Recent recommended readings
- Turns Signals Are the Facial Expressions of Automobiles
- Things That Make Us Smart Available as eBook
- Scenarios of the future: Two histories of the 21st century
- FIRE: How Fast, Inexpensive, Restrained, and Elegant Methods Ignite Innovation. (Dan Ward)
- The Simplicity Cycle (Dan Ward)
- The cult of the peacock (Brendan Vance)
Keynote Addresses and Schedule
Contact information, bios, press photos, ...
Examples of talks
- June 8 - 18: Milan, Florence, Bologna, Padua.
- June 11, 2015. "Meet the media guru" talk and conference, Milan, Italy
- July 17, 2015. UICO. Elmhurst, IL
- August 19-22, 2015. Education keynote. Industrial Design Society of America, Seattle, WA.
- September 1 - 3, 2015. Keynote. Relating Systems Thinking and Design 4 (RSD4) Conference. Banff Centre, Alberta, Canada
- October 10-11, 2015. DesignX Workshop. Tongji University. Shanghai.
- October 12-13, 2015. Emerging Practices conference. Tongji University, Shanghai, China
- October 15, 2015. Advisory Board, School of Design and Innovation, Tongji.