(Major revision, 6 September 2014.) The newly established design initiative at the University of California, San Diego -- The Design Lab -- seeks creative fellows to join us in an exciting adventure to help advance the field of design. The posting includes the newly revised call for applicants plus the application format and four questions to answer.
Other Recent Essays
- Hill climbing in radical Innovation
- Verganti & Norman: Having a vision is not enough--it must be implemented
- Error Messages Are Evil
- Design at UCSD: Think Observe Make
- Human Error? No, Bad Design
- Predicting too early is as bad as not predicting at all
Large projects tend to fail: Software, construction, new aircraft, it doesn't matter -- they fail. Dan Ward offers a simple solution: don't do them. With the time and money allocated for one large project, do numerous small ones. Do them Fast and Inexpensive, with Restraint and Elegance: FIRE. It's a well-known principle, but it goes against the nature of organizations who wish to solve all their problems with one project. In consumer markets, it the disease I call featuritis. In industry, it's bloat. What's the alternative? FIRE. For anyone even remotely associated with large projects, this eminently sensible, highly readable book is required reading.
Recent recommended readings
- The cult of the peacock (Brendan Vance)
- Designing with the Mind in Mind, 2nd edition. (Jeff Johnson)
- Cool Tools (Kevin Kelly)
- Sleights of mind : what the neuroscience of magic reveals about our everyday deceptions (Macknik, Martinez-Conde & Blakeslee)
- Smarter than you think: How technology is changing our minds for the better (Clive Thompson)
- Foreword: Computers as Theater (Brenda Laurel)
Keynote Addresses and Schedule
Contact information, bios, press photos, ...
Examples of talks
- September 14, 2014. PricewaterhouseCoopers "The Exchange: How's that customer-centric thing working for you?" The Cloister, Sea Island, GA
- September 15-16, 2014. Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD), Savannah, GA.
- October 11, 2014. Design Success China Conference (Shanghai)
- October 12, 2014. Advisory Committee meeting, Tongji University College of Design & Innovation. Shanghai, China.
- October 13, 2014. Design Research and Education conference, Tongji University, Shanghai.
- October 22-23, 2014. Segal Design Institute. Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
- October 24, 2014. UICO. Chicago, IL.
- October 26-30, 2014. NordiCHI Keynote, Helsinki, Finland.
- October 31, 2014. At Aalto, Helsinki, Finland.
- November 14 - 16, 2014. 20th Anniversary party for HCII, CMU, Pittsburgh (I gave the after dinner talk).
- November 21-22. NSF meeting at MIT.
- December 4-6, 2014. Business of Design Week, Hong Kong. (My talk on December 5)
- February 6-7, 2015. Exploratorium. San Francisco, CA
- February 8. 2015. IxDA Education Summit. (Interaction Design Association.) San Francisco, CA
- April 25 - 30, 2015. CHI 2015. Seoul, S. Korea.