Naomi Miyake, a brilliant Japanese researcher, a close friend and colleague, and one of my early PhD students, died this year (2015). Here are my reflections on her carer, published in the japanese Cognitive Science Society's journal: Cognitive Studies, 22(4), 1-38. (Dec. 2015)
Other Recent Essays
- How Apple is Giving Design a Bad Name
- The "science" in the science of design
- Affordances: Commentary on the Special Issue of AI EDAM
- Encounters with HCI pioneers
- Ready or not, the fully autonomous car is coming
- Apple's products are getting harder to use because they ignore principles of design.
Mollerup, P. (2015). Simplicity: A matter of design. Amsterdam, The Netherlands: BIS Publishers.I sat down in the living room. I read, turned the pages, read, skimmed, and read again. A long period passed.Then I stood up and announced to the room, "this is a brilliant book!"What more need I say?I loved everything about it: the cover, the typesetting, the book design, the illustrations, and most of all, the commentary. I loved the analysis of the levels of simplicity and the distinction between quantity-simple and quality-simple. This is a deep and thoughtful book about a topic that sounds simple but is in fact deep and complex topic.BIS PublishersAmazon.com...
Recent recommended readings
- Positive computing: technology for wellbeing and human potential (Calvo & Peters)
- Turns Signals Are the Facial Expressions of Automobiles
- Things That Make Us Smart Available as eBook
- Scenarios of the future: Two histories of the 21st century
- FIRE: How Fast, Inexpensive, Restrained, and Elegant Methods Ignite Innovation. (Dan Ward)
- The Simplicity Cycle (Dan Ward)
Keynote Addresses and Schedule
Contact information, bios, press photos, ...
UC San Diego hiring Assistant Teaching Professor
The Design Lab is hiring an Assistant teaching Professor with work and teaching experience in HCD. See goo.gl/DXJMEi
- Jan. 20. Rockville, MD (NCI/NIH)
- Jan. 21-23. Palo Alto, CA
- Jan. 24. Princeton, NJ
- Feb. 9. Palo Alto.
- Feb. 16-18. SAP AP Academic Conference Americas. Coronado, CA (Keynote and Design Thinking/HCD workshops)
- March 7. ITAM, Mexico DF
- April 7. Lecture. Cal State Long Beach.
- April 13-16. Symposium on Human Factors and Ergonomics in Health Care: San Diego
- May 7-12, 2016. CHI 2016. San Jose, CA
- May 12, 2016. Keynote, UX in Games Summit, Durham, NC
- May 18, 2016. Chicago.
- May 21. TEDx UCSD