(Major revision, 1 September 2014.) The newly established design initiative at the University of California, San Diego -- The Design Lab -- seeks creative fellows to join us in an exciting adventure to help advance the field of design. The posting includes the newly revised call for applicants.
Other Recent Essays
- Hill climbing in radical Innovation
- Verganti & Norman: Having a vision is not enough--it must be implemented
- Error Messages Are Evil
- Design at UCSD: Think Observe Make
- Human Error? No, Bad Design
- Predicting too early is as bad as not predicting at all
Large projects tend to fail: Software, construction, new aircraft, it doesn't matter -- they fail. Dan Ward offers a simple solution: don't do them. With the time and money allocated for one large project, do numerous small ones. Do them Fast and Inexpensive, with Restraint and Elegance: FIRE. It's a well-known principle, but it goes against the nature of organizations who wish to solve all their problems with one project. In consumer markets, it the disease I call featuritis. In industry, it's bloat. What's the alternative? FIRE. For anyone even remotely associated with large projects, this eminently sensible, highly readable book is required reading.
Recent recommended readings
- The cult of the peacock (Brendan Vance)
- Designing with the Mind in Mind, 2nd edition. (Jeff Johnson)
- Cool Tools (Kevin Kelly)
- Sleights of mind : what the neuroscience of magic reveals about our everyday deceptions (Macknik, Martinez-Conde & Blakeslee)
- Smarter thank you think: How technology is changing our minds for the better (Clive Thompson)
- Foreword: Computers as Theater (Brenda Laurel)
Keynote Addresses and Schedule
Contact information, bios, press photos, ...
Examples of talks
- September 14, 2014. PricewaterhouseCoopers "The Exchange: How's that customer-centric thing working for you?" The Cloister, Sea Island, GA
- September 15-16, 2014. Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD), Savannah, GA.
- October 11, 2014. Design Success China Conference (Shanghai)
- October 12, 2014. Advisory Committee meeting, Tongji University College of Design & Innovation. Shanghai, China.
- October 13, 2014. Design Research and Education conference, Tongji University, Shanghai.
- October 22-23, 2014. Segal Design Institute. Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
- October 24, 2014. UICO. Chicago, IL.
- October 26-30, 2014. NordiCHI Keynote, Helsinki, Finland.
- October 31, 2014. At Aalto, Helsinki, Finland.
- November 14 - 16, 2014. 20th Anniversary party for HCII, CMU, Pittsburgh (I gave the after dinner talk).
- November 21-22. NSF meeting at MIT.
- February 6-7, 2015. Exploratorium. San Francisco, CA
- February 8. 2015. IxDA Education Summit. (Interaction Design Association.) San Francisco, CA
- April 25 - 30, 2015. CHI 2015. Seoul, S. Korea.