Ready or not, the fully autonomous car is coming
My Op-Ed piece for the San Diego Union-Tribune for September 26, 2015.
Basically the argument is summarized in the opening and ending paragraphs:
Ready for cars with computers as driver? No? Good, because the computers aren't ready either. But have no doubt, they are coming....The tremendous saving of lives and injuries is strong support for the development of autonomous vehicles. However, the relentless automation of all that can be automated is not a good thing for society. At the UC San Diego Design Lab we are exploring ways of making technology the servant of people. We aim for human-technology teamwork: augmentation, not replacement. Our research has just begun: Stay tuned.
- All Books
- The Design of Everyday Things, Revised and Expanded Edition
- Living with complexity
- The Design of Future Things
- Emotional Design: Why we love (or hate) everyday things
- The invisible computer
- Things That Make us Smart: Defending Human Attributes in the Age of the Machine
- Turn Signals Are the Facial Expressions of Automobiles
- The Design of Everyday Things