Editors: Dr. Alex Ryan and Peter Jones. Published by: Systemic Design Research Network. ISBN: 978-0-9950245-0-2
With the fourth RSD symposium at Banff, Canada the conference turned a corner, moving from Oslo to North America and enlarging the scope of papers and talks from previous years. 40 authors across a range of related fields of design and systemics.
The proceedings are published and available online as open access documents. All copyrights belong to the authors.
RSD4 Editorial Board: Jodi Forlizzi, Peter Jones, Harold Nelson, Alex Ryan, Birger Sevaldson
Five keynote speakers presented a range of compelling intellectual engagements, from Don Norman's provocations to develop a design practice capable of dealing with significant complexity, to Lia Patricio's resonant case study and model of integration in the Portuguese health records system, to AP-J's cutting-edge architectural models. Ursula Tischner and and Mugendi M'Riitha shared leading sustainability approaches.
- Don Norman - Can HCD Help with Complex Sociotechnical Systems? (1 hour, 6 minutes)
- Lia Patricio - A Framework for Co-creating Service Platforms
- Ann Pendleton-Jullian - Designing for Emergence for Radically Contingent Problems (1 hour 24 minutes)
- Mugendi M'Riitha - Renewing Africa's Quest for Sustainable Energy
- Ursula Tischner - "Crowd" based Systemic Design and Innovation for Sustainability (1 hour, 12 minutes(